Burlingame California History
The city grew slowly until 1906, when the earthquake and fire in San Francisco sent hundreds of people looking for safe neighborhoods. The population of Burlington fluctuated by several hundred people until the great California earthquake of 1906 shook San Diego, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties. After the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, many people flocked south to escape the hardships of the city's ruins.
A description of these records can be found in the wiki article entitled "History of Burlington County, California, U.S.A. (1851 - 1906). A detailed history of St. Paul can be found in this Wikipedia article about the history of the city and the St. Paul County Historical Society. To find documents for your district, use the Burlington County Sheriff's Office or the San Francisco County Sheriff's Office.
Run a Google search for "Burlington County, California, U.S.A. History" in the search box at the bottom of the page.
Burlingame was founded in the early 18th century as a parish of the Episcopal Church of St. John the Evangelist. The community boundaries were limited by the San Francisco Bay, San Mateo and San Jose, and the Santa Clara River.
In 1843, Jose de Cruz Sanchez inherited Burlingame Rancho, a large piece of land on the east side of the Santa Clara River. The early map of this subdivision, found in county records, dates from 1905 and describes the Easton Addition, No. 1, which is considered the first subdivision in San Mateo County of San Francisco County. Also originally part of the Buri Ranchos was the area around what is now San Jose City Hall and the city's first public library.
When an uprising in Sonoma that led to the founding of the Bear Republic led Arenas and his father to sell the land to a San Francisco-based trading company, Howard Cayetano, he took possession of it. The republic, now canonized under the California flag, had prompted Cayatano to hand over his land to his brother-in-law, John Arena, the first mayor of San Jose. This country, now called Burlingame, became home to a number of prominent California politicians and businessmen, including Governor Pio Pico, during his tenure as governor of California.
Founded in San Francisco in 1868 by Etienne Guittard, the company moved to Millsdale Industrial Park in Burlingame in 1955. In 1924, the Mother House of the Sisters of Charity of California and Arizona was acquired and founded. When the diocese of Sacramento was founded in 1886, the foundation was separated from San Diego and the Sisters of San Francisco.
After additional territory was added to Santa Cruz County in 1868, San Mateo County was founded as San Francisco County. Hillsborough, Burlingame and San Jose were, along with the experience of World War II, independent foresight anomalies on the peninsula.
The Hillsborough society flourished when Burlingame Country Club was founded in 1893, and leisure time in the countryside commuted to the newly minted Burlingame Train Depot. A decade later, the construction of a new railway station and the opening of the city's first railway station gave the city an important impetus for growth. No other suburb has matched its direct connection, dating back to the gold rush, with its central location in San Mateo County.
After the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, hundreds of plots in Burlingame were sold to people looking for a new home, and in 1908 the city itself was incorporated. Oak Grove Avenue led him to Redington Avenue, where he stopped passing trains on his way to and from his San Francisco store. A newly built train station was located on the corner of Oak and Grove Avenues in the heart of the city. With a population of about 2,000, it was the largest city in San Mateo County and the second largest in California.
After Howard's death in 1856, the land was sold to his son-in-law William Howard and his wife Mary for $1,000.
At the time, Howard's 6,500-acre farm, known as Rancho San Mateo, was one of the largest farms in the San Francisco Bay Area. The land originally consisted of 15,000 hectares that belonged to Jose Antonio Sanchez since 1835. In 1846, Sanchez's son-in-law and his wife, Maria Sanchez, bought the land, which included 1.5 million acres of land in Santa Clara County, California.
The southern Burlingame area was part of a land grant called Rancho San Mateo, which was awarded by Governor Pio Pico to Jose Antonio Sanchez and his wife Maria Sanchez. Spanish missionaries had turned the bay of San Francisco into a farm to support their mission in San Francisco. With the independence of Mexico in 1822, the mission country was secularized and consecrated to the Spanish again.
On December 19, 1940, the Burlingame Advance Star reported that the city had approved Ray's application for the subdivision and development of the former Dairus Mills estate west of El Camino Real, which had been annexed to Burlingame. According to maps dated May 13, 1866 and 1868, it was Joseph Henry Poett who sold Anson's Burringame to create his estate. This contradicts the conflicting accounts of Messrs Sharon and Ralston, who said that they had just bought a large part of the Burledame land where they were starting plans to build a city.